2010 - Day of Action for Rivers
Taking Action for Rivers on March 14
Learn about 2010 actions by region
- Check out some of the amazing photos of 2010 actions on our Flickr page
- Create your own Wild River Dance video
We congratulate you, our friends and colleagues around the world who stood up on March 14, 2010, to participate in the 13th annual International Day of Action Against Dams and for Rivers, Water and Life!
This year, there were more than 136 actions in at least 27 countries.
We will keep posting photos and blogging about the inspiring activities that took place across the globe, so visit us often.
For the Rivers!
Call to Action - Reclaim Our Rivers, Our Rights in 2010!
Our collective international movement has made huge strides in protecting the world’s rivers and the rights of communities who depend on them. In June, our colleagues in Mexico succeeded in securing a significant delay on La Parota Dam. Strong Kenyan opposition to Ethiopia’s Gibe 3 Dam has deterred international funders from approving financing for the project. And in October, community activists celebrated their victorious campaign to stop a dam on the Mary River in Australia when the government cancelled the project.
Reclaim Our Rivers, Our Rights
Despite these successes, we still face serious challenges. The hydropower industry is planning to release a new protocol that could greenwash hydropower and undermine the rights of dam-affected communities to participate in development decisions. Southern financiers, like Brazil and China, are increasingly funding dams that threaten some of the world’s most amazing rivers, which have supported communities for generations.
We urge you to join thousands of dam-affected people and their allies around the world under a unifying message of "Our Rivers, Our Rights." Together, our voices are stronger.
- Together, we will demand reparations for people affected by existing dams.
- Together, we will insist that dams do not proceed without the consent of affected communities.
- Together, we will press for better solutions to meet our water and energy needs than big, destructive dams.
- Together, we will raise our voices on March 14, 2010 to reclaim our rivers and our rights.
JOIN US by organizing your own action in 2010! Let us know about your plans by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure to take lots of photos and share them with us after your event. We look forward to hearing from you!
Download Day of Action Materials!Download the brochure (PDF) or write to email@example.com to request copies.
International Rivers has a four-page fact sheet describing past actions around the world. Download the fact sheet (PDF). Currently available for download only.
- See the entire list of Day of Action for Rivers materials. (Including stickers and translations into many languages)