The Water Cycle
- Lab: The Berkeley Ecology Center's Terrain for Schools (TFS) offers a great unit on water chemistry, including several labs.
Rivers and Ecosystems
- Lesson: The TFS offers an engaging unit on threats to salmon populations and different types of human disturbances to rivers and watersheds.
- Lab: A lab-based unit on dams and the baiji dolphin in the Yangtze River by PBS.
Rivers and People
- Lesson: National Geographic Xpeditions has a unit on rivers and dams that allow students to apply their knowledge to a proposed local dam. A great case study on the Niger River and its communities is also offered by Xpeditions.
- Lab: The TFS offers a unit on dam impacts and decommissioning through a hands-on siltation lab.
Protecting River Resources
- Lesson: A set of lesson plans using the National Geographic web resources that explore conservation.
- Lesson: TFS has a social studies unit on watershed management that allows students to seek solutions that recognize the interconnectedness of water and forests.
- Guide: International Rivers' "River Keepers Guide" offers an introduction to how watersheds work, and threats to them. Learn about global river movements and how to be river advocates. Also in Mandarin Chinese.