International Day of Action to Cancel Zapotillo - November 10
Thank you to everyone who took action on November 10th.
Please see the Report Back From International Day of Action for information, photos and videos of actions taken around the world.
During Rivers for Life 3, the residents of Temacapulín called for an international day of solidarity to stop El Zapotillo Dam on November 10, 2010. They are asking communities and NGOs to organize peaceful actions at their nearest Mexican Embassy or Consulate to demand the cancellation of this destructive project.
El Zapotillo Dam is being constructed on the Río Verde in Mexico's Jalisco state to provide water to the neighboring state of Guanajuato. The project is proceeding without the consent of the communities who would be displaced. In addition, the appropriate environmental impact assessment, cultural heritage report and land use permits have not been granted.
We urge you to stand in solidarity with the community of Temaca on November 10 to demand the cancellation of El Zapotillo Dam.
If you are located in the United States or cannot organize an action in your country, please sign our petition.
Suggested actions for International groups
- Download the letter calling for the cancellation of El Zapotillo Dam, and ask citizens and/or NGOs in your country to sign it. (You can also find an English translation here.)
- Hold a demonstration at the Mexican Embassy or Consulate in your country on November 10.
- Ask for a meeting with the Ambassador or Consul General of Mexico and present the letter urging the Mexican President urging him to cancel the project.
- Take photos and/or video of your action. Include a sign that says "Los Ojos del Mundo Están Puestos en Temaca."
- Publicize your actions in your local media.
Suggested actions in Mexico
- Join the protest in front of CONAGUA, the National Comission for Water.
- Present a protest letter to the regional representative of CONAGUA, calling for the cancellation of the Zapotillo Dam.
- Make your own petitions to CONAGUA and CFE, calling for the cancellation of dam projects and compensation and reparations for those affected.
- Take a photo in an emblematic place in your city, holding a sign that says: "Los Ojos del Mundo Están Puestos en Temaca."
- Publicize your actions in the local press.
Press release about the November 10 International Day of Action.