International Day of Action for Rivers
March 14 was the International Day of Action for Rivers and Against Dams.
Every year, thousands of people around the world lift their voices to celebrate the world's rivers and those who struggle to protect them. The International Day of Action for Rivers is a day to celebrate victories such as dam removal and river restoration. It is a day to take to the streets, demonstrate and demand improvements in the policies and practices of decision makers. It is a day to educate one another about the threats facing our rivers, and learn about better water and energy solutions. Above all, it is a day to unite – by acting together, we demonstrate that these issues are not merely local, but global in scope.
- It's not too late to register your event. We'd love to tally more events!
- Learn about the 125 actions in 44 countries that happened for the 2015 Day of Action for Rivers
- Share your river story with us
- Download Day of Action materials and pamphlets
History of the International Day of Action for Rivers
The International Day of Action Against Dams and For Rivers, Water and Life was adopted by the participants of the first International Meeting of People Affected by Dams, March 1997 in Curitiba Brazil. Representatives from 20 countries decided that the International Day of Action would take place on March 14 - Brazil's Day of Action Against Large Dams. Our aim on this International Day of Action for Rivers, is to raise our voices in unison against destructive water development projects, reclaim the health of our watersheds, and demand the equitable and sustainable management of our rivers.
Read our International Day of Action for Rivers blog to learn more!
How you can get involved
Plan your own event or join with others already planning events on March 14th. Talk to partners who are already planning events or have done so in the past through the Day of Action for Rivers Facebook page. We will repost photos and share events – be sure to tag @International Day of Action for Rivers. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with information about your event, and be sure to send us lots of photos and videos.
Here are just a few ideas for events:
- Plan a march or protest to honor your river and publicize your demands.
- Paddle down a river, dance beside a river, jump into a river.
- Hold a religious ceremony at the river.
- Use theater, film and music to connect with your community and encourage them to share in the celebration.
Download and print materials for your Day of Action for Rivers event here.