International Rivers protects rivers and defends the rights of communities that depend on them. We work to stop destructive dams and promote water and energy solutions for a just and sustainable world.
Rivers are vital to sustaining all life on earth. We seek a world where healthy rivers and the rights of local communities are valued and protected. We envision a world where water and energy needs are met without degrading nature or increasing poverty, and where people have the right to participate in decisions that affect their lives.
We are guided by the following values:
- Collaboration: We see ourselves as a part of a global movement to protect river ecosystems, and our colleagues as partners with whom we collaborate and consult to strengthen our collective efforts.
- Integrity: We conduct our work honestly, keep our commitments, and expect others to do the same.
- Accountability: We hold ourselves accountable to affected communities, partner organizations, funders, and the public at large, to act in accordance with our mission.
- Inclusiveness: We promote open dialogue and decision-making that is transparent, inclusive and consultative.
- Courage: We recognize and accept the responsibility to act on our mission even under difficult circumstances, and to confront our adversaries openly, while also protecting the safety of our staff and partners.
- Accuracy: We are committed to rigorous research and analysis, providing accurate information, and basing our work on the best available evidence.
- Creativity: We seek new, imaginative ways to inspire and maximize our effectiveness, both internally and externally.
- Sustainability: We seek to maintain an organization that is dynamic, strong, just, and sustainable in its finances, programs, practices, leadership and administration.