Event and Engagement Intern – Summer 2012
International Rivers protects rivers and defends the rights of communities that depend on them. We work to stop destructive dams and promote water and energy solutions for a just and sustainable world. We have offices and staff in the U.S. and across the globe.
Each year International Rivers hosts two large events and several smaller events. These events are both engagement and fundraising opportunities for the organization. On Thursday, September 20, 2012, International Rivers is hosting its annual event, Rendezvous for the Rivers at the Lake Chalet in Oakland, CA. The Event and Engagement Intern will be a critical part of the team for this event. This position will also assist in setting the event and engagement vision for the next year, which may include an expanded Bay Area events program and national or international events for our community or river advocates.
The Event and Engagement Intern will assist the Development Director and the Development Committee to solicit gifts for the silent auction portion of the Rendezvous for the Rivers. The process will involve:
- Developing a prospect list
- Contacting prospects
- Following up with leads
- Closing agreements to donate to the auction
- Maintaining the integrity of shared spreadsheets and the donor database
The Event and Engagement Intern will also provide support to developing International Rivers’ general event structure and, with the Development Director, draft a suggested plan for 2013.
Skills and experiences desired
- Enthusiasm and commitment to international environmental and human rights issues.
- Office skills, knowledge of Word and Excel for mail merge, and familiarity with databases preferred
- Strong writing, editing and communications skills, including phone, e-mail and skype.
- Ability to multitask, stay organized and keep deadlines – including excellent time management skills and attention to detail.
- Positive team player with a strong sense of initiative.
- Fluent in English, with excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills.
- Event setup often requires the ability to lift up to 20 lbs, bend and stoop.
- Ability to lead volunteers.
International Rivers offers a stimulating, casual and flexible work environment. The Event and Engagement Intern’s work schedule requires an average of 20 hours per week for a 3-month minimum between July 16 and September 28, 2012 (start/end dates flexible). This internship in unpaid; however, a summer stipend may be available. This internship is available for course credit and includes training opportunities and reimbursement for local travel.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send a cover letter, 3-page writing sample, and resume to the Intern and Volunteer Coordinator, email@example.com, with the subject line: Event and Engagement Internship. NO CALLS, PLEASE. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.