International Rivers protects rivers and defends the rights of communities that depend on them.
We seek a world where healthy rivers and the rights of local river communities are valued and protected. We envision a world where water and energy needs are met without degrading nature or increasing poverty, and where people have the right to participate in decisions that affect their lives.
Who We Are
We are a global organization with headquarters in Oakland, California, and regional offices in Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
- We work with river-dependent and dam-affected communities to ensure their voices are heard and their rights are respected.
- We help to build well-resourced, active networks of civil society groups to demonstrate our collective power and create the change we seek.
- We undertake independent, investigative research, generating robust data and evidence to inform policies and campaigns.
- We remain independent and fearless in campaigning to expose and resist destructive projects.
- We engaging with all relevant stakeholders to develop a vision that protects rivers and the communities that depend upon them.