Thank you for your interest in working at International Rivers. Our global staff is dedicated to working in partnership with communities, organizations, and movements protecting their rivers, their ways of life, and our planet’s freshwater.
Internships & Volunteer Positions
From time to time, internship positions will be listed here. If you’re interested in interning with International Rivers, contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org and sign up for our jobs and internships alert listserve.
Environmental Defenders Campaign Coordinator
Location: Preferably US, remote working. Other locations will also be considered.
Status: Part-time – 0.6 FTE (3 days per week), fixed-term contract for 1 year. Reports to: Senior Advisor
Applications by: 21 January 2023, or until the position is filled
The Campaign Coordinator works with International Rivers’ staff and partners to secure protection and accountability for environmental defenders facing threats and persecution and to promote civic space and public participation within environmental and climate initiatives. The role is project-based with a fixed-term contract. The Campaign Coordinator reports to International Rivers’ Senior Advisor and coordinates closely with the Communications, Global Policy and Southeast Asia programs.
Background of International Rivers
International Rivers works to protect rivers and the rights of communities that depend on them. We work with an international network of dam-affected peoples, grassroots organizations, environmentalists, human rights advocates, and others who are committed to stopping destructive river projects and promoting more sustainable options. We support partner organizations and dam-affected people by providing advice, training, and technical assistance, and advocating on their behalf with governments, banks, companies, and international agencies.
- In coordination with US civil society groups, engage and advocate directly with allies in the US Congress and US administration on behalf of environmental defenders. Engagement will take the form of letters and in-person and remote briefings.
- Expand outreach and engagement with European, UK and other civil society allies to engage decision-makers among European and UK governments and parliaments and other leverage points as identified, including multilateral development banks, UN agencies and corporate and financial actors.
- Coordinate with allies to highlight the issues facing climate leaders in Vietnam and more broadly the persecution of high-profile climate activists and environmental defenders globally.
- Research and prepare fact sheets and media and policy briefings for use in engaging decision-makers, the media and the public.
- Help develop and implement advocacy strategy on behalf of environmental defenders and to secure civic space for environmental and climate campaigns more broadly.
- Host monthly coordination calls among civil society allies (in US, EU, UK, Southeast Asia).
- Research and share information on campaign developments, opportunities and strategies to network partners.
- In coordination with Communications Manager, support media engagement on the plight of environmental defenders and lack of civic space, to be complemented by proactive and reactive social media engagement.
- Conduct outreach to expand networks of civil society allies, with a focus on Asia / Southeast Asia, in coordination with Southeast Asia Program Director.
- WIth Senior Advisor and development team, contribute to preparation of grant reports and funding proposals.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in international advocacy and campaigning, preferably on environmental and/or human rights issues
- Strong oral communication skills and the ability to engage a range of audiences
- Excellent writing ability in English and attention to detail
- Experience working in Southeast Asia is a plus
- Well-organized, ability to manage multiple tasks
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate others in a coalition
- Flexibility to work across different time zones and to tight deadlines
How to apply
To apply, email your resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line Environmental Defenders Campaign Coordinator.
Deadline: 21 January 2023, or until the position is filled.
International Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, class, disability status, ethnicity, gender, race and sexual orientation.
If you are a student with opportunities for an internship to be compensated by a fellowship or academic credit from your educational institution, you are welcome to send your resume, a cover letter detailing your interest in our work and the specific internship requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have skills and experience you would like to contribute to our work on a volunteer basis, you are welcome to write to email@example.com. Most of our volunteer opportunities are based out of our California headquarters and include help with database administration and communications.
If you’re interested in working for International Rivers in the future, sign up for our jobs and internships alert listserve.