Thank you for your interest in working at International Rivers. Our global staff is dedicated to working in partnership with communities, organizations, and movements protecting their rivers, their ways of life, and our planet’s freshwater.
Internships & Volunteer Positions
From time to time, internship positions will be listed here. If you’re interested in interning with International Rivers, contact us via email@example.com and sign up for our jobs and internships alert listserve.
Project Consultant – Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
International Rivers is an advocacy organization working with local and Indigenous communities in the Global South to promote environmental justice. The success of our mission ultimately hinges on a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and governance structure. We seek to embed DEI into all of our functions, policies, and practices and create and sustain a culture of inclusion and dignity that promotes workplace well being.
In 2020, International Rivers conducted a review of the organization’s safeguarding policies, resulting in an improved organizational handbook and set of trainings for staff. In January 2022, we launched a comprehensive review and revision of operational, management, and governance procedures and practices.
International Rivers seeks assistance to systematically assess, prioritize, and improve our workplace culture, policies and practices through a DEI lens. Specific objectives include:
- Assessment with staff, management team, leadership, Board to identify priority areas of for transformative change and create implementable plans in line with organizational goals for this FY and beyond
- Ability to increase productivity, workplace satisfaction, and retention across organization
- Ability to attract and retain staff from minority and underrepresented backgrounds in our US and regional offices
- Alignment between operations and governance
- Operationalization of recently renewed and expanded policy commitments with our partner organizations
Background of International Rivers
International Rivers protects rivers in the Global South and defends the rights of communities that depend on them. With offices in Thailand, India, South Africa, and Brazil, we work to stop destructive dams and promote water and energy solutions for a just and sustainable planet.
Our unique strategy entails building institutions for water governance while ensuring that the community rights and decisions are respected. Our long-term goal is a world in which healthy rivers and the rights of local communities are valued and protected, water and energy needs are met without degrading nature or increasing poverty, and people have the right to participate in decisions that affect their lives.
Status: 3-6 months, but may be extended/adjusted
Reports to: Executive Directors
Minimum qualifications, skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) with DEI professional certificate, Master’s preferred
- Prior experience as a DEI Consultant or Project coordinator for an international NGO or CSO, experience with advocacy organizations preferred
- Willingness to work with an international team across 14 time zones
- Interest in or some knowledge of sustainability and human rights issues
- Strong written and verbal command of English
- Good analytical skills, as well as an eye for detail
- Good interpersonal skills and comfortable working across communities
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic and international environment
How to apply
Interested groups or individuals are welcomed to apply. All applications should include:
- CV and cover letter expressing your interest in this opportunity
- Top level plan of how you will meet/deliver on the ToR
- Your quote in USD, indicating the daily or monthly rate with anticipated number of hours, or a whole project fee
- Samples of your DEI programs
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: DEI Consultant.
Please note that we are only able to contact those candidates invited for an interview.
Closing date for applications is: 19 Aug 2022
International Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, class, disability status, ethnicity, gender, race and sexual orientation.
If you are a student with opportunities for an internship to be compensated by a fellowship or academic credit from your educational institution, you are welcome to send your resume, a cover letter detailing your interest in our work and the specific internship requirements to email@example.com.
If you have skills and experience you would like to contribute to our work on a volunteer basis, you are welcome to write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Most of our volunteer opportunities are based out of our California headquarters and include help with database administration and communications.
If you’re interested in working for International Rivers in the future, sign up for our jobs and internships alert listserve.